Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Zuppa di Cipolle con Uova basically translates to onion soup. It’s better than any restaurant that’s for sure.
- ¼ cup Bertolli extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 cups water
- Bel Gioioso Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large sweet onions- sliced
- 4-8 Wilcox large eggs
- Morton iodized sale/McCormick Ground Black pepper
- Friselle or dry toast Italian bread
Saute onions until golden brown and soft texture. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer 5-10 minutes, stir occasionally, add water and simmer another 5 minutes. Break eggs, slide into onion mixture and let poach. Place Friselle, or Italian bread in soup bowls, serve one or two eggs on each plate. Ladle onion soup over all. Sprinkle with cheese. Serves 4.
More about Zuppa di Cipolle con Uova
Onion soup was originally for the poor. It has been a popular dish since the roman times and the version seen most today originates from France in the 18th century. The soup is made from caramelized onions and beef broth. Bread crumbs and cheese are placed on top and melted.